California: Why It May Be Time to Change Your CO Alarms
We're giving away three new ones here.
Our carbon monoxide alarms came with the house and I wrongly haven’t really given them much thought. They’re hard-wired into our alarm system but even these need to be replaced.
The alarm company never sent us a note to buy new ones. I figured this out on my own after Kidde sent me a plug-in carbon monoxide monitor to test in preparation for this post. We have a lot of Kidde products sprinkled around the house (fire extinguishers and smoke detectors mainly) so we are already comfortable with the brand.
The other revelation I had is that we only have three carbon monoxide alarms. Based on the layout of our house, we should have a few more. It’s an easy, and not-too-costly way to protect the family from an otherwise silent killer.
All of this aside, the entire reason for this post is to remind you that it’s time for many Californians to completely change out their carbon monoxide alarms. Here’s why.
Table of Contents
Required by Law
It’s been over seven years since California Senate Bill 183 passed in July 2011, which requires homeowners in our state to have carbon monoxide alarms. So, what naturally happened is that many Californians installed them around this time.
This means that these alarms may start to beep at some point this year because they’re nearing the end of their useful life. CO alarm sensors have a limited lifespan which means that they simply don’t last forever.
When the alarms start to beep every 30 seconds, they’re no longer working. It’s not a matter of simply changing the battery — the entire alarm needs to be replaced.
So, it’s time to “beat the beep,” which is why Kidde has shared a special promo code to make it an even easier decision for you. I also have three extra alarms to give away to three lucky readers. Keep reading.
Carbon Monoxide: A Reminder
You can’t see smell or taste carbon monoxide which is why it’s known as the silent killer. Humans and animals have no idea when they’re breathing it.
If you breathe in too much CO it inhibits the blood’s capacity to carry oxygen. Approximately 400 people die unnecessarily each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning. In the majority of cases, this is totally avoidable.
Where Does Carbon Monoxide Come From?
The answer is that carbon monoxide is generated in quite a few places around the home. CO is produced when fuels such as gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil or wood are burned. Sources can include:
- Fuel-burning appliances that aren’t working properly or were improperly installed
- Water heaters
- Space heaters
- Clothes dryers
- Grills used in an enclosed space
- Blocked chimneys
- Cigarette and pipe smoke
- Vehicles running in an attached garage
It’s also a reason to keep your dryer, dryer vents, chimneys, fireplaces, heaters and more properly cleaned and maintained.
How to Detect Carbon Monoxide
The only way to detect carbon monoxide is through a properly-working alarm, which is why these alarms are required in California.
Plug-in alarms couldn’t be easier to use. To install the Kidde Nighthawk™ Plug-in Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display, all you need to do is remove the alarm from the packaging, read the directions, install the battery (so that the alarm works in a power outage), and plug it into an outlet.
A cord at the back of the carbon monoxide alarm provides some placement flexibility be it tabletop, wall mount or wall outlet.
I have to say that I like its digital display that will alert you (in addition to some VERY loud beeping) as to how much CO the alarm is or isn’t reading in the area.
Kidde Promo Code
Remember, when your CO alarm starts beeping every thirty seconds, it’s time for a new one. Be prepared by having some on-hand.
Use code BEATTHEBEEPCA on ShopKidde.com for 20% off all CO and CO combo products.ShopKidde.com
Beat the beep by winning three Kidde Nighthawk™ AC Plug-in Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display (Model: KN-COPP-3), a $143.97 value.
All you need to do is leave a comment on the following Instagram post to say that you’d love to win them. One person will be randomly chosen as the winner.
View this post on Instagram
AD (and a GIVEAWAY): Californians who installed their carbon monoxide monitors seven years ago, when they became legally required, might start hearing them beep soon. This means it's time for them to be completely replaced (changing the battery isn't good enough). You need to #beatthebeap to keep your family safe. . WIN: ✨We're giving away 3 @KiddeFireSafety plug-in monitors to one person (a nearly $50 value). ✨You can also use promo code BEATTHEBEEPCA to receive 20% off all CO and CO combo products on ShopKidde.com. . The enter: Leave me a comment by mentioning why you'd like to win them. It's really that simple. (This giveaway is not associated with Instagram, must be a US resident and must be 18 years or older.) If you need them, why not enter? Ends 10/19/18. #giveaway #liketowin #win
This giveaway is not affiliated with Instagram and open to legal residents of the U.S. who are physically located in the U.S. or the District of Columbia, age 18 or older. Entrants agree to the following terms and conditions prior to entering the giveaway.
Win or buy, make sure to stay on top of your carbon monoxide alarms. Most of the things around your house require some sort of maintenance. Make sure these are on the list. Your family depends on them.
*This post is written in partnership with Kidde.