Whether you eat gluten-free by necessity or choice, no sacrifice will be noticed with this ALDI Test Kitchen recipe for Gluten Free Strawberry Cupcakes.
I’ve become more familiar with ALDI through my fun ALDI Delivered partnership and can honestly tell you that their gluten-free mixes are pretty darn good. San Diego’s new Vista store has a huge section of gluten-free goods that is bigger than our other local grocery store that is 4x the size.
I would not suspect they were gluten-free. But since they have offerings like gluten-free yellow cake mix, it’s nice to know what you can do with it.
To make the actual cupcakes, just follow the instructions on the box. These are the only ingredients you need!
Mix wet ingredients and then add in the entire box of liveGfree® Yellow Cake Mix.
Pour evenly into a 12 cupcake pan and bake for 18 minutes. I pulled them out just as the tops started to brown. They came out perfectly.
I am surprised by how moist they are. I’ve had some gluten-free cupcakes that were noticeably dry, so it’s nice to know they don’t have to be.
The fun part of this recipe is the frosting. It’s fluffy and sweet with a hint of butter and strawberry. You’ll need to cook two egg whites and Baker’s Corner Granulated Sugar in a double boiler until the sugar melts. Transfer to a stand mixer and mix until stiff peaks form. This took a while, so I let the mixer run while I did other things. Add in soft Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter in chunks, mix further and then add in Berryhill Strawberry Preserves!
Kids love these just as much as adults do, trust me. You can’t tell these are gluten-free!
For the Cupcakes
- 15 ounces liveGfree Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 3 Goldhen Large Eggs
- 2/3 cup Friendly Farms 2% Milk
- 1/2 cup Carlini Vegetable Oil
For the Frosting
- 2 Goldhen Large Eggs, whites only
- 3/4 cup Baker's Corner Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter, cut into tablespoons, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Berryhill Strawberry Preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 12 liners in a cupcake pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to the package instructions using the eggs, milk and oil. Bake for 18-23 minutes. Cool completely.
- For frosting: In a double boiler over medium heat, combine egg whites and sugar. Whisk until sugar dissolves. Transfer mixture to an electric mixer bowl and mix on medium speed until stiff peaks form and bowl has cooled to room temperature. Add the butter, one tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat until light and fluffy. If mixture breaks, continue beating it until it comes back together (this may take up to 10 minutes). Whip in preserves.
- Frost cupcakes. Store on counter for up to two days; refrigerating will cause frosting to become very stiff.
- Check the full recipe here.
Recipe is courtesy of Chef Stacey, ALDI Test Kitchen
Find More ALDI Recipes
Have a look at more ALDI recipes ranging from tasty veggie ice pops to holiday recipes. It’s time to pack school lunches and they have plenty of ideas for that, too. I also made an amazing warm superfood salad recipe that you have to see.