I have to give my husband credit for this kale, chorizo and manchego pizza recipe. He saw it in my Sunset magazine. I was super skeptical, but I was wrong in an I’ve-eaten-this-for-three-days-straight kind of wrong.
We opted for pork chorizo after looking at the nutritional content for both pork and beef chorizo. Pork has significantly less fat, without sacrificing flavor. We have not yet tried it with turkey chorizo, but I wonder if it would be too dry. The kale will get crispy on top of the pizza, like freshly baked kale chips. I love it this way, however, it will not retain the crispiness the following day.
It doesn’t matter, because you won’t have leftovers.
This recipe is an easier version of one appearing in the February 2012 edition of Sunset Magazine
- 1 bag of chopped kale
- 1 lb. of pizza dough or 1 ready-made pizza crust
- 1 cup grated manchego cheese
- 1 cup of chorizo, sausage-style
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- If using fresh dough, prepare per directions.
- Sprinkle the dough with manchego, then kale, then chorizo.
- You could sprinkle a bit of manchego on top of the pizza if you like.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes.
See also: Recipe: Islands Hawaiian Burger