Have you ever wondered how Smashburger makes their burgers? They have been kind enough to share a burger recipe that you can replicate at home. The recipe even includes how to properly “smash” them!
- 2 pounds fresh, never frozen, 100% Certified Angus beef
- 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
- 2 avocados
- 2 sliced tomatoes
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 8 large lettuce leafs
- 4 torta rolls
- 4 wedges of lime
- Sour Cream
- Chipotle Mayonnaise
- Chopped cilantro
- Set grill to 400 degrees.
- Place a flat metal surface over the grill (this allows you to caramelize the outside while sealing in the juices).
- Form loosely-packed third, or half, pound balls of fresh, never frozen 100% Certified Angus Beef.
- Paint the grill with real, unsalted butter.
- Use a cast-iron grill press to sear patty and lock in juices.
- Smash the meatball on the grill for the first 10 seconds to ensure meat is seared on the outside.
- Once the juices start to percolate, flip the burger to keep the juices in.
- Grill the beef patties until they are cooked thoroughly and then remove them from the grill.
- Melt spicy pepper jack cheese on top of each patty.
- Add half of a hand-sliced avocado.
- Add tomato slices.
- Sprinkle a blend of freshly chopped cilantro and onions.
- Add lettuce leaves.
- Top with a scoop of fresh sour cream and chipotle mayo.
- Serve the burger on a fresh torta roll with a wedge of lime.
Of course, we love Smashburger in La Jolla. What’s your favorite order there? I like the Spicy Baja burger. And they even have good kids meals.
See also: Best La Jolla Restaurants
Photo Credit: Smashburger