This year, the LA VICTORIA® brand celebrates 100 years of providing authentic, flavorful salsas, taco sauces, enchilada sauces and chiles in the U.S. Founded in 1917 by the La Baca family, the LA VICTORIA® brand created the first-ever jarred salsa, also known as their SALSA BRAVA® and heat thermometer (now ubiquitous with packaged Mexican foods).
Part of the anniversary festivities include an exclusive 100-person dinner at the Junipero Serra Museum in San Diego. It’s part of a series of dinners to honor the brand’s West Coast roots and they’ve enlisted the help of local chefs, artists, and musicians to help bring the celebration to life, in addition to people like me to help spread the news.
I’m celebrating by doing two things in this post. First, I share a recipe for two-bite taco cups featuring two popular LA VICTORIA salsas: Mango Habanero Salsa and Salsa Verde. And, I’m also giving away two tickets to this 100-person dinner that is not otherwise open to the public.
The chef for the evening is Chef de Cuisine Christine Rivera of Galaxy Taco in La Jolla. I can’t wait to see what she prepares. In the meantime, let me tell you how to make this fun little appetizer.
Recipe: Easy Taco Bites
I’ve seen people make taco and other various cups out of wontons so have always wanted to try it myself. Basically, what you need to do is think about what you’d like to put in a taco and just do it… in a wonton.
It works, really.
Wonton skins can typically be found in the refrigerator section of major grocery stores that also sell the likes of tofu. In our case, this is VONS. Asian grocers sell wonton wrappers, too.
Cook the turkey or lean beef as directed by your favorite taco seasoning packet. (As an aside, we have made these without the taco seasoning and they are nowhere near as good so don’t skip it.)
Spray a mini muffin tin (or a larger muffin tin if you want a bigger version) with spray oil. This is important because it helps the bottom of the wonton wrapper turn from soft to crispy.
Slide a wonton wrapper into the mini muffin tin and let the sides fall as they may, leaving enough room to stuff taco meat and cheese inside.
Bake at 375°F for about 10 minutes or until the edges of the wonton wrapper are golden brown. I would suggest rotating the pan by 180° halfway through if your oven has a reputation for uneven cooking. Pull out a wonton or two in the middle of the pan to see if the bottom has browned and hardened a little before removing the pan from the oven completely. In my experience, the bottom will never fully brown or get as crispy as the edges but some golden brown color is preferable.
Next, carefully remove each taco bite from the pan and top with salsa. Because I had jars of both the LA VICTORIA Mango Habanero and LA VICTORIA Thick’N Chunky Salsa Verde salsas, I decided to make half of the mini taco cups with one and half with the other.
Which tastes better depends on you as they are both very good. My husband is not usually keen on sweet flavors so he preferred the salsa verde taco bites. I personally thought the mango habanero was better. It’s sweet and spicy, which is a unique combo in a taco especially when it has a won ton wrapper. Love it.
Then, add sour cream and chives. I really like it with a wedge of lime and cilantro leave but put these out on the side for people to add, if they please.
Serve immediately as they do taste better warm. It’s a two-bite experience.
If you’re not going to serve them warm, think about baking only the won ton wrappers first as LA VICTORIA does here in a similar recipe that I discovered after making these!
- 1lb lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 11/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of LA VICTORIA Habanero Mango Salsa and/or LA VICTORIA Thick'N Chunky Salsa Verde
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- spring onions
- spray oil
- cilantro (optional)
- lime wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 °F
- Cook the meat using your favorite taco seasoning's instructions.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with spray oil
- Place won ton wrappers in a mini muffin tin.
- Put roughly 1 tsp of meat into the won ton wrapper
- Top it with a pinch of cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the won ton wrapper browns. Check the bottom of the won ton wrapper to be sure it is also slightly browned and hardened.
- Remove taco bites from the pan.
- Top with LA VICTORIA Mango Habanero Salsa or LA VICTORIA Thick'N Chunky Salsa Verde.
- Add a small dollop of sour cream.
- Top with chives for color.
- Serve warm.
Wilton Perfect Results Non-Stick Mini Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 24-Cup
2Packs Silicone Mini Muffin Pan Silicone Cupcake Baking Cups, 24 Non Stick Silicone Molds for Muffin Tins(Red)
Three Ladies Brand Spring Roll Rice Paper Wrapper (2 Packs) Round, 22cm
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
About LA VICTORIA’s 100th Anniversary Dinner in San Diego
To pay homage to its Mexican heritage and the modern West Coast lifestyle, the makers of the LA VICTORIA® brand will partner with local chefs, artists and musicians to help bring the celebration to life in each city.
“Our communal dinner parties celebrate everything that modern-day Mexican has to offer, from freshly-picked, simple ingredients in the meals to interesting local art and music,” adds Friedman. “Additionally, we’re proud to give back to the local communities that have been a big part of our history by awarding talented artists in each city the chance to win a grand prize and other exciting gifts.”
- The 100-person, exclusive dinner will be at San Diego’s Junipero Serra Museum.
- Award-winning local chef Christine Rivera (Chef de Cuisine at Galaxy Taco in La Jolla) will be serving up delicious cuisine for a multi-course menu—all which will incorporate LA VICTORIA salsas, sauces and chiles.
- The popular, OB-based indie rock band The Verigolds will be playing fun tunes all night.
- There will also be five San Diego-based artists who will showcase an original piece of visual art that showcases “Modern, West Coast Lifestyle” while giving a nod to LA VICTORIA® Brand. One will be awarded a grand prize of $7,500, while the second- and third-place winners will take home $1,500 and $1,000.
This exciting dinner is invitation-only and not open to the public so this is your chance to go!
LA VICTORIA Dinner Ticket Giveaway (CLOSED)
To enter to win two (2) tickets to this amazing anniversary dinner, all you need to do is share why you’d like to go by leaving a comment at the bottom of this post.
Thanks to LA VICTORIA for sponsoring this post and giveaway!