Milk still does a body good, that’s for sure.
The vanilla pudding recipe below is very easy to make in a pinch. We find it plenty sweet with 1/4 cup of sugar, but add more if it’s to your liking. Or, use agave syrup. I would imagine this would be great for gluten free kids (and adults) too.
- 2 1/2 cups of nonfat milk
- 1/4-1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Heat 2 cups of nonfat milk, sugar and salt until the mixture starts to bubble at the edges and foam a little bit.
- Mix cornstarch, 1/2 cup of nonfat milk and vanilla until smooth. Add to mixture above and heat until it starts to boil, while stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and stir until mixture thickens. It will set completely in the fridge.
- Divide into 4 ramekins and refrigerate.
- Place berries or other fruit on top.
- Tip: Refrigerate in Tupperware or other kid-friendly storage to put in school lunches. The pudding stays in tact at room temperature after being refrigerated.
- Tip: Use clever containers, such as muffin cups (shown in main post photo) to eat at home.
Or, make this protein-packed pudding for adults and kids with more sophisticated palates. It is quinoa, but I promise it’s a satisfying dessert. I have been eating a small serving in the late afternoon as a small pick me up.
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 3 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- sliced banana
- golden raisins
- fresh berries
- any dried fruit of your choice
- Bring quinoa and 2 1/2 cups milk to boil in a saucepan.
- Once boiling, reduce to simmer and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until tender. Stir occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, honey, eggs, cinnamon and 1 cup of milk.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and SLOWLY pour in the egg mixture while stirring.
- Cook until the mixture thickens, about 5-7 minutes. It should stick to the spoon when you lift it up.
- Cover with plastic wrap (press on to pudding) and refrigerate for several hours.
- Tip: Cut out the sugar and have it for a quick and easy breakfast in the morning.