I was looking for something quick to do with our browning bananas that didn’t require a lot of prep or clean-up. I modified this recipe for healthy banana cookies. They are only sweetened by the bananas (the riper, the better) and dates. While I wouldn’t necessarily serve them at a fancy dinner party, my 5-year-old likes them and there’s very little guilt should you choose to down more than one or eat them for breakfast (which is actually realistic, given the ingredients).
Recipe: Healthy Banana Cookies
3 ripe bananas
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup extra light olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mash the bananas in a bowl.
3. Add oatmeal, dates, oil and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Let sit for 15 minutes.
5. Drop by about a tablespoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet (the ones I placed on a Silpat came out much better).
6. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until slightly brown on top.
Makes about 18 cookies.
As you probably guessed, I pulled them out closer to the 15 minute mark because we like gooey. Also, it helps to flatten the cookies a little bit as they do not change shape once you drop them on to the cookie sheet. Again, they aren’t a substitute for banana cupcakes, but your kids can easily make them and they are certainly a tasty, healthier option.