How To Frost A Cupcake Like Sprinkles (Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe)
Any typos on this post can be attributed to the extreme Sprinkles Cupcakes buttercream frosting coma that I’m currently in. The Sprinkles Cupcakes La Jolla store opened up its kitchen to media plus kids for a quick lesson in how to frost a cupcake like they do. Between juggling a spatula, camera and 6-year-old I was able to get answers and overhear some helpful tips. I’ll share them all here. We also took home a bag full of cupcakes that will allow me to test their storage tips.
Table of Contents
- Fun Sprinkles Cupcakes Facts
- How To Frost A Sprinkles Cupcake
- The Famous Sprinkles Cupcakes Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- Sprinkles Cupcakes Vanilla Butterceam Frosting Recipe
Fun Sprinkles Cupcakes Facts
- The La Jolla store sells about 1000 cupcakes a day.
- This means the bakers arrive at 4:00am to get started.
- Sprinkles started in Beverly Hills in 2005.
- Sprinkles just opened a store in Kuwait, with plans for many more stores in the Middle East.
- Cupcakes are sold on the same day they are made. Unsold cupcakes are donated at the end of the day.
- Bakery boxes, napkins, bags and gift boxes are made from recycled materials.
How To Frost A Sprinkles Cupcake
It’s quite simple, actually. You do need an angled spatula and to keep it clean between each swipe. If it’s not clean, the Sprinkles buttercream frosting will be tough to smooth out.
Top the cupcake with a special decoration that can be customized per event or season.
The Famous Sprinkles Cupcakes Buttercream Frosting Recipe
In my opinion, frosting makes or breaks cupcake. This buttercream frosting recipe is one of the best out there and surprisingly not much different from the other buttercream frosting recipes that I use.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, combine butter, sugar and salt. Beat until blended.
- Add the milk and vanilla and beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
How To Make The Sprinkles Cupcakes Cinnamon Sugar Cupcake
Not a frosting fan? The Sprinkles Cinnamon Sugar cupcakes start as a simple spiced buttermilk cupcake. Butter is melted and brushed on to the top. Next, the cupcake is rolled in a sugar and cinnamon mix, starting with the sides first. I admit, despite the lack of frosting, this cupcake is delicious.
Storing Sprinkles Cupcakes
If, for some reason, you have leftover Sprinkles Cupcakes, here’s how to best store them. They are always better if eaten on the same day but will last for two to three days if left at room temperature in an airtight container.
If the cupcake has buttercream frosting, keep in mind that it may collapse a little because, well, it’s butter-based. Our pretty frosting swirls had flattened by the time we got home. Sprinkles cupcakes freeze well for up to a month. Let theme thaw to room temperature and enjoy.
Do not refrigerate as the refrigerator will dry out cupcakes. Vegan and sugar-free Sprinkles cupcakes can tolerate refrigeration, if necessary.
Bring A Cupcake Home For The Dog
Our dog loves the sugar-free Sprinkles Doggie Cupcakes. The frosting is made with yogurt and it’s perfectly OK if you’d like to take a bite, too, since the ingredients are human-grade.
What is your favorite Sprinkles cupcake flavor? I can’t ever seem to deviate from vanilla.