Welcome to nearly every Girl Scout’s favorite time of year… cookie season. I’m going to give you an easy Girl Scout cookie recipe that is a crowd-pleaser. Feel less guilty about supporting Girl Scouts in your life or local troops selling at grocery store booths as you’ll need an entire box of Thin Mints, Do-si-dos or Trefoils to make this ice cream pie.
Disclaimer: I am a Girl Scout troop cookie mom which means that I coordinate sales for my daughter’s troop. Between roughly January and March, my dining room is filled with hundreds of Girl Scout cookie packages.
I bring this dish to parties and leave a pie in the freezer that I take small slivers from throughout the week(s). It’s so easy that kids can make it if you help them with the food processor or smashing of the cookies.
How to Make Thin Mint Cookies Ice Cream Pie
I’ve included a recipe for my mom’s hot fudge sauce which is spectacular should you feel like adding a homemade touch. A thicker, jarred chocolate sauce will also work for this Girl Scout cookies recipe.
Place an entire box of Thin Mints cookies and 4 tbsp of melted butter in a food processor. Pulse until the Thin Mints are ground up and bound together by the butter.
Alternatively, smash the Thin Mints cookies in a sealed bag with a rolling pin or similar and then mix the crumbs together with the melted butter.
Press the crumbs into an 8″ springform pan (preferred) or pie dish.
Scoop the softened ice cream on top of the Thin Mints crust. Smooth the top with an angled spatula.
Pour chocolate on top of the ice cream pie. Make sure it’s room temperature, otherwise it will further melt the ice cream and turn into a runny mess.
Freeze for at least four hours.
Tip: Do-si-dos and vanilla ice cream make an epic combo. As Do-si-dos are filled with peanut butter, you do not need to add melted butter to the cookie crust unless it’s having a tough time sticking together. Take a few knives full of peanut butter and weave it through the top of the vanilla ice cream for a little extra flavor, if you like.
Trefoils do need the melted butter in the crust. Use vanilla ice cream and top with sprinkles. Strawberry ice cream and fresh strawberries work, too. The sky is the limit as shortbread is a “neutral” flavor.
Girl Scout Cookies Recipe: Easy Thin Mints Ice Cream Pie
For the pie
- 1 box of Girl Scout Thin Mints cookies
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1 gallon of mint chip ice cream, softened
- 1 cup of premade or homemade chocolate sauce
If you want to make homemade chocolate sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
To make chocolate sauce
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat the milk, vanilla and butter over medium heat while whisking constantly until the butter melts.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients.
- Keep whisking until the mixture boils. Whisk for about a minute longer and remove from heat.
- Let cool. Store extra sauce not used on the ice cream pie in the refrigerator.
To make the pie
- Place the entire box of Thin Mints and melted butter inside a food processor and pulse until the crumbs bind together. Alternatively, crush the Thin Mints manually and then mix with melted butter.
- Press the crumb mixture into an 8" springform pan or pie dish. Try to press it one inch up the sides though if using a springform pan, don't worry about it.
- Scoop the softened ice cream into the crust. You'll use the entire gallon and could even add in more, if using a springform pan.
- Use an angled spatula to smooth out the top. It helps to run it under hot water first.
- Pour your desired amount of chocolate sauce on top. Make sure that it isn't hot, otherwise it will melt the ice cream.
- Let the completed pie sit in the freezer for about 4 hours. Cut and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Anolon 57991 Advanced Nonstick Springform Baking Pan / Nonstick Springform Cake Pan, Square - 9 Inch, Gray
Hiware Springform Pan Set of 3 Non-stick Cheesecake Pan, Leakproof Round Cake Pan Set Includes 3 Piece 4" 7" 9" Springform Pan, Icing Spatula and Icing Smoother
Spring Chef Ice Cream Scoop with Comfortable Handle, Black
See also: Tropical Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
Katie Dillon is the managing editor of La Jolla Mom. She helps readers plan San Diego vacations through her hotel expertise (that stems from living in a Four Seasons hotel) and local connections. Readers have access to exclusive discounts on theme park tickets (like Disneyland and San Diego Zoo) and perks at luxury hotels worldwide through her. She also shares insider tips for visiting major cities worldwide like Hong Kong, London, Paris, and Shanghai that her family has either lived in or visits regularly (or both).
25 Exotic Asian Fruits to Try on Your Next Trip to the Region or Grocer
Everything You Need to Know About Chinese Hot Pot
13 Benefits of Drinking Warm Lemon Water in the Morning (It’s Good for You)
USS Midway Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe from 1945