When looking for hotels near LEGOLAND California, options on this list that I recommend suit a variety of family travel styles. These include some of San Diego’s best luxury hotels, the LEGOLAND Hotel onsite for diehard fans, a few Carlsbad beach hotels, accommodations with space for large families and a handful of value options.
Without further ado, here are the best hotels near LEGOLAND California Resort.
Distance to LEGOLAND: It’s adjacent to the park (you can’t get any closer)
Top pick for: Families who want to immerse in the LEGO experience.
Why go: You have the ultimate LEGO enthusiast in tow who wants to immerse in all things LEGO and/or you’re going during peak season and want to avoid crowds. A stay at the LEGOLAND Hotel provides exclusive early entry to the park up to an hour before it opens to the public. You can also book VIP experiences with your hotel stay that include VIP dining, character escorts around the hotel and in the park, priority ride access and more. It is the ultimate LEGO experience.
- Your choice of LEGO-themed rooms – Pirate, Kingdom, Adventure, LEGO Friends, and NINJAGO
- Free breakfast buffet
- Nightly children’s entertainment
- Free WiFi (with payment of $25/night resort fee)
- Free 24-hour fitness center
- Outdoor pool (heated)
- Parking included with $25/night resort fee
- Valet parking $20/stay
- Hotel restaurant (“Bricks”)
- Hotel bar and lounge
- Room service
- Cribs available
- Gift shop (filled with plenty of LEGOs)
- In-room treasure hunt with LEGO surprises for kids.
Good to know: This is a busy hotel with lots and lots of kids. LEGOLAND annual pass members receive 15% discount on rooms. There will soon also be a LEGOLAND Castle Hotel, too.
Awards: TripAdvisor’s list of Best Family Hotels in America.
LEGOLAND Castle Hotel
Distance to LEGOLAND: It’s adjacent to the park (you can’t get any closer)
Top pick for: Families who want to immerse in the LEGO experience at a brand NEW hotel.
Why go: We know that this new LEGOLAND California hotel has 250 premium themed rooms, including 20 suites. LEGOLAND tells us that upon entering LEGOLAND Castle Hotel, guests will first step into a grand hall where they are met by a LEGO wizard before taking a magical levitating lift (elevator) that will take them to one of three different floors where adventures await. In the Knight rooms, guests are surrounded by dragons and knights as they prepare to go into battle to defend the king’s castle and protect the king’s treasure. In the Princess rooms, woodland animals such as butterflies, squirrels, owls and song birds all made of LEGO, of course, are found. In the Wizard rooms, guests discover how magic is used to protect the king’s treasure with the use of giggling potions and spells.
- LEGO fully themed rooms – Knights & Dragons, Royal Princess or Magic Wizard
- Building station in each children’s room
- Free breakfast
- Nightly children’s entertainment
- In-room treasure hunt with LEGO surprises for the kids
- Separate park entrance for hotel guests
Good to know: Brand new hotels often have a few quirks in the first few months so channel patience if booking in shortly after opening.
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Hotel (Top Pick for Beach)
Distance to LEGOLAND: 5 miles
Top pick for: Families who want to spend a decent amount of time at the beach in addition to LEGOLAND.
Why go: If you’d like to enjoy the best of both worlds (beach and LEGOLAND), Cape Rey Carlsbad is your best choice. They are an official LEGOLAND California partner hotel with an onsite concierge to help structure your day in LEGO heaven. It’s also not your average Hilton property. Cape Rey has an upbeat, family-friendly vibe catered to those who are adventurous at heart and a long list of activities. They also have a courtesy shuttle to LEGOLAND in addition to nearby restaurants and shopping.
- A robust events calendar that even locals take advantage of
- A beach pack available for purchase with an umbrella, two chairs, two towels and bottled water.
- Surf excursions available for booking through the onsite Director of Adventure (the famous South Ponto surf break is across the street)
- Chandler’s restaurant, which serves California cuisine
- Some rooms have partial or full ocean views.
- Complimentary WiFi
- Rooms have 42″ TVs with premium channels, Paul Mitchell bath amenities, Hilton Serenity Beds, microwaves, mini-fridges, in-room coffee
- Full-service Ocean Crest Spa
- Ocean view pool with jacuzzi and cabanas
- Bike rentals
- Complimentary shuttle within a 10-mile radius (including LEGOLAND)
- Complimentary morning coffee and tea in the lobby
Good to know: They have a family beach package available where the room rate bundles 15% discounts on dining, beach activities, and some local attractions.
Awards: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, AAA Four Diamond Award
Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
Distance to LEGOLAND: 7.9 miles
Top pick for: Multigenerational trips (villas from studios to three-bedrooms with kitchens plus connecting rooms and suites), parents who enjoy world-class spas, and people who like resorts with an abundance of kids’ offerings.
Why go: What is widely regarded as San Diego’s most family-friendly resort, Omni La Costa Resort & Spa happens to also be a hotel near LEGOLAND California. It’s an excellent option for people who like to spend time on a resort because between the famous golf course, award-winning spa, kids’ pool, kids’ club and activities calendar there is undoubtedly a lot to do here. They also have gorgeous villas with designer kitchens that happen to be seriously great value for larger families and multigenerational trips.
- Kidtopia kid’s club, designed by an architect that specializes in theme parks and museums, offers supervised play for infants and toddlers, potty-trained kids ages 3-5 and kids ages 6-12 (each age group enjoy different programming)
- Splash Landing pools with a water play area and water slides
- Sandy Beach Family Pool with sand to play in
- Vibz game lounge offering pay-per-play high-tech games and activities for ages 10 and up
- A pretty impressive daily activity schedule that can include anything from reptile shows to s’more roasting
- Kids fitness boot camp
- The adults-only Edge Pool
- Lifestyle boutiques for golf, yoga and beach gear among other finds
- Diversions sports lounge to catch a game, smoke a cigar or read the paper; all-day dining with a view at VUE
- Two world-renowned golf courses
- Spa at La Costa’s awesome lounging facilities and nature-inspired treatments and an opportunity to address inner wellness at The Chopra Center
- One-, two- and three-bedroom villas of which most have full kitchens blend vacation and home
Good to know: Many first floor rooms have French doors that open to a nice patio. La Costa suites (one of the most popular room types because the living room closes off to the bedroom and they are reasonably priced) are closest to the family pool.
Awards: Southern California’s only Gold Medal Golf Resort (Golf Magazine), #1 Wellness Spa in the nation by Spa Magazine, Travel + Leisure’s #4 Spa in North America
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Aviara (Top Pick)
Distance to LEGOLAND: 5.9 miles
Top pick for: Families who adore Four Seasons style service, residence-style accommodations with living rooms and kitchens, and quieter luxury.
Why go: You’d like to visit LEGOLAND California but are most comfortable with exquisite Four Seasons service (as frequent guests like me are). You’d prefer a quieter, more exclusive five-star property with space to suit large families and multigenerational travel. Most of the villas at Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara have kitchens or kitchenettes and separate bedrooms from the living area feel like a home away from home.
- Kids Club 760 with fun activities such as arts and crafts, ping pong, video games and dive-in movies (unstaffed)
- Board games to check out and use in the villa
- Child-sized bathrobes and slippers and special children’s bath amenities
- Two swimming pools and a special children’s pool
- Childproofing, high chairs and other amenities available upon request
- Full-service spa and fitness center
- Babysitting services
- Signature Beachtown Tours (the kids can come, too) in a vintage Woodie, by reservation
- Seasons barista bar for gourmet coffee drinks and to-go items
- Unique dining experience like the chef’s table and kitchen counter where guests pull up a stool to interact with chefs and taste bites in the open kitchen
Good to know: Aviara is inland from the beach and you will need a rental car. I truly love this resort and think it’s somewhat of a hidden gem. I also feel that you get what you pay for (which sometimes might just be less than you think).
Reservations: Cadence Travel, my agency, is a Four Seasons Preferred Partner so definitely send me your dates as this is the best way to book (and how I’ve been booking into Four Seasons personally for years).
Park Hyatt Aviara
Distance to LEGOLAND: 6.8 miles
Top pick for: World of Hyatt members, families traveling to LEGOLAND who prefer larger luxury resorts, large groups, families who like suites.
Why go: You are a World of Hyatt member and want to base the family in a North County San Diego luxury hotel with excellent service, excellent golf, and an award-winning spa. I find that this hotel can price very well during certain times of the year and they do (usually) have reasonably priced suites with separate living areas which young families tend to enjoy. I’ve also been particularly happy with their behind-the-scenes service.
- Aviara Kids Academy by Camp Hyatt for ages 4–12 during the summer
- Lessons at Aviara Golf Academy for all ages
- Bird watching over the wetlands
- Seasonal junior tennis clinics
- Outdoor family swimming pool with underwater lights
- Shallow wading pool and water play area
- Poolside cafe with kid-sized picnic tables
- Surf concierge including transportation to Ponto Beach and 2 hours of boogie board or surf lessons for ages 6 and above
- Kids DVD library
- Arnold Palmer designed golf course
- Six state-of-the-art lighted tennis courts
- Adults-only pool with panoramic views
- An impressive 15,000-square-foot spa with solarium lounge area, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, couples treatment areas and locker and dressing areas
- TaylorMade Performance Lab for a 2-hour custom club fitting experience
- Exquisite, varied dining between Argyle Steakhouse, Vivace (Italian) and California Bistro
- Frette robes and pillow-top beds
Good to know: This incredibly beautiful part of Carlsbad is inland of the I-5 freeway so you’ll need to drive to the beach. You can read about our recent stay at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort.
Awards: AAA Five Diamonds
Reservations: Hyatt now has a VIP program called Hyatt Prive in which Park Hyatt Aviara participates. Benefits include:
- $100 USD Property Credit
- Room Upgrade*
- Breakfast for Two
- Welcome Amenity
- Guest Welcome Letter
- Early Check-In*
- Late Check-Out*
- Connecting Rooms*
- Free Wifi
* Subject to Availability
The upgrade, early check-in and late check-out are processed quickly after booking. For more details…
West Inn & Suites
Distance to LEGOLAND: 2.1 miles
Top pick for: Families who are value-oriented and don’t mind paying a bit more for larger suite accommodations but don’t need the amenities of a five-star resort.
Why go: You are a value-oriented traveler. West Inn and Suites is a charming boutique hotel that includes excellent amenities without a lot of upcharges. Located about a 5-minute drive from LEGOLAND and just three blocks (a 10-minute walk) to the beach and the Museum of Making Music, this pet-friendly, 86-room hotel’s relaxed yet sophisticated setting may be perfect for a family vacation, a romantic weekend getaway, or for business travelers. There are 35 suites among the hotel’s 86 rooms. We have enjoyed staying here in a spacious suite with our rescued pit bull in tow (dogs can’t be left alone in the rooms).
- Complimentary water (2 bottles in your room) upon arrival
- Refrigerator and microwave
- In-room, one-cup coffee maker
- High-speed wired and wireless Internet
- Day use of beach chairs, umbrellas, boogie boards & beach toys
- Dog/cat-friendly rooms ($75 extra for one night, $150 extra for two or more nights)
- Fitness center
- Heated pool and Jacuzzi
- Casual & fine dining on site supported by the hotel’s own West Farm
- Room service by Bistro to Go
- Extensive breakfast buffet
- 24-hour coffee and tea service
- Bedtime cookies and milk from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Seasonal wine/beer pour 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Complimentary self-parking
- Complimentary shuttle service within Carlsbad (based on LEGOLAND hours)
- Cribs and pack and plays
- Weekday newspapers
- Rollaways ($10 fee per night) and turn down service upon request
Good to know: The West Inn & Suites does not have a resort fee. This hotel near LEGOLAND California Resort offers a special LEGOLAND Package (in addition to other special packages) providing admission tickets and shuttle to and from the park.
Awards: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, Family Vacation Critic Favorite Hotel 2017, Rated #1 on TripAdvisor in Carlsbad
Grand Pacific Palisades
Distance to LEGOLAND: Located across the street. It’s probably a 10-minute walk to the turnstiles.
Why go: This is a good pick for families who need accommodations with kitchens because they like to cook their meals (there is a nearby Costco). These are timeshare accommodations that anyone can book. This well-located hotel on 12 landscaped acres overlooking the Pacific Ocean has a pedestrian entrance to LEGOLAND, a separate adult, Olympic-sized pool with a sunset view and cabanas, and a family-friendly kid pool. It’s also close to the outlet mall, beaches, and Carlsbad Village.
- Free WiFi
- Olympic-sized adult pool and cabanas
- Family pool with kids interactive splash pad
- State-of-the-art fitness center and steam room
- Activity center and weekly resort events for all
- Video and game room
- Pedestrian entrance to LEGOLAND® California Resort
- Karl Strauss Brewery and Restaurant nearby for breakfast and room service
- Just a free shuttle away is luxurious Ocean Pearl Spa at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort
- In-room massage treatments
- Business center
- Grand Concierge services to meet all your resort needs
- Resort shuttle available within 5-mile radius
- Rollaway bed ($25 per night)
Good to know: Book at least 21 days in advance to receive 10% off. The complimentary Tide Trolley is a fun-filled way to be transported to Carlsbad’s pristine Tamarack Beach and is available on Saturday and Sundays daily Memorial Day through Labor Day, and various holidays throughout the year.
Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
Distance: Next door to LEGOLAND with a private entrance to the park
Why go: The Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa is located adjacent to the Crossings Carlsbad golf course, and has a private entrance to the LEGOLAND California Resort, a large outdoor patio and panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean. This pet-friendly resort also has the world-class Ocean Pearl Spa and offers California coastal cuisine at its onsite Twenty/20 restaurant. It’s for people who want to be close to LEGOLAND, stay in a larger resort, but not immerse entirely in all things LEGO.
- Free WiFi
- 42-inch flat screen television.
- Guest rooms feature large work desks with wireless high-speed internet access
- Mini refrigerator
- Complimentary transportation available by trolley to Tamarack Beach
- You can put rollaway beds, microwaves and DVD players in the room for an extra fee.
- 24-hour heated swimming pool and Jacuzzi
- 24-hour Sheraton fitness
- [email protected]
- Private entrance to LEGOLAND® California Resort
- In-room Starbucks coffee
- One bottled water in room
- Unlimited local/800 calls
- Complimentary shuttle service within a five-mile radius
- Complimentary beach trolley during the summer months
Good to know: Resort fee is $16 per day. The private entrance to LEGOLAND opens exactly at 10:00 a.m. (or when the park opens to the public). Self-parking is $12 per vehicle; valet parking is $18 per vehicle.
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Distance to LEGOLAND: 3.2 miles
Why go: You’d like to be located across the street from the beach and have a few more home comforts like a refrigerator and microwave or a (usually) reasonably-priced suite. Situated near LEGOLAND California Resort, the Carlsbad State Beach, and the Flower Fields, with many ocean-view hotel rooms and suites. Every room in the hotel has free high-speed internet access, a writing desk, and cable television. Several on-site dining and lounge options are also available, including a 24-hour convenience store called the Pavilion Pantry, the Pavilion Lounge for late night drinks, or breakfast and dinner at The Carlsbad Beach Bistro.
- High-speed internet
- 24-hour front desk
- Business center
- Fitness center
- Game room
- Gift shop
- Pool with Jacuzzi
- Bike rentals
Good to know: Be sure to join Hilton Honors as occasionally, the HHonors rate through Hilton can be slightly lower.
Fairfield Inn and Suites Carlsbad
Distance to LEGOLAND: 3.4 miles
Why go: Fairfield Inn and Suites Carlsbad has the quality and consistency of a Marriott property. Located just minutes from Carlsbad State Beach, LEGOLAND, world-class golf, and shopping at the Carlsbad Premium. A hot breakfast buffet as well. 30 miles north of downtown San Diego. Earn and redeem Marriott rewards points.
- Complimentary hot breakfast buffet, WiFi and parking
- Fitness center
- 24/7 business center
- 48″ flat screen TV’s in each room.
- A 24-hour market
- Heated outdoor pool
- Marriott Rewards points
- Each room features a coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave
- Complimentary high-speed Internet access in all guest rooms
Good To Know: Guests can earn and redeem Marriott rewards points.
Important Tips for Visiting LEGOLAND California
When planning a LEGOLAND California vacation, it is critical to check park hours. This San Diego attraction is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during off-peak season. The LEGOLAND Water Park is only open on weekends during off-peak season and not at all from November–February.
You may skip the lines at LEGOLAND California with a VIP tour which comes in handy during peak season.
The park is geared mostly toward kids who are under 12 years old.
Buy LEGOLAND Discount Tickets
There are several ways to buy LEGOLAND discount tickets:
- Straight-to-the-gate LEGOLAND discount tickets from San Diego based aRes Travel are great for when you just need LEGOLAND California tickets. They also can package LEGOLAND tickets with hotel bookings.
- LEGOLAND is part of the Go San Diego Card discounted attractions pass which is the most popular sightseeing pass in San Diego.
- LEGOLAND is part of the California Explorer Pass which may be more appropriate for people visiting multiple attractions across California.