10 Best Hotels Near LEGOLAND California in Carlsbad
Every hotel on this list suits a different style of family travel from large villas to beachside retreats
When looking for hotels near LEGOLAND California, options on this list that I recommend suit a variety of family travel styles. These include some of San Diego’s best luxury hotels, the LEGOLAND Hotel onsite for diehard fans, a few Carlsbad beach hotels, accommodations with space for large families and a handful of value options mixed in.
Table of Contents
Distance to LEGOLAND: It’s adjacent to the park (you can’t get any closer)
Top pick for: Families who want to totally immerse in the LEGO experience.
Why go: You have the ultimate LEGO enthusiast in tow who wants to immerse in all things LEGO and/or you’re going during peak season and want to avoid crowds. A stay at the LEGOLAND Hotel provides exclusive early entry to the park up to an hour before it opens to the public. You can also book VIP experiences with your hotel stay that include VIP dining, character escorts around the hotel and in the park, priority ride access and more. It is the ultimate LEGO experience.
- Your choice of LEGO themed rooms – Pirate, Kingdom, Adventure, LEGO Friends, and NINJAGO
- Free breakfast buffet
- Nightly children’s entertainment
- Free WiFi (with payment of $25/night resort fee)
- Free 24-hour fitness center
- Outdoor pool (heated)
- Parking included with $25/night resort fee
- Valet parking $20/stay
- Hotel restaurant (“Bricks”)
- Hotel bar and lounge
- Room service
- Cribs available
- Gift shop (filled with plenty of LEGOs)
- In-room treasure hunt with LEGO surprises for kids.
Good to know: This is a busy hotel with lots and lots of kids. LEGOLAND annual pass members receive 15% discount on rooms. There will soon also be a LEGOLAND Castle Hotel, too.
Awards: TripAdvisor’s list of Best Family Hotels in America.
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Hotel
Distance to LEGOLAND: 5 miles
Top pick for: Families who want to spend a decent amount of time at the beach in addition to LEGOLAND.
Why go: If you’d like to enjoy the best of both worlds (beach and LEGOLAND), Cape Rey Carlsbad is your best choice. They are an official LEGOLAND California partner hotel with an onsite concierge to help structure your day in LEGO heaven. It’s also not your average Hilton property. Cape Rey has an upbeat, family-friendly vibe catered to those who are adventurous at heart and long list of activities. They also have a courtesy shuttle to LEGOLAND in addition to nearby restaurants and shopping.
- A robust events calendar that even locals take advantage of
- A beach pack available for purchase with umbrella, two chairs, two towels and bottled water.
- Surf excursions available for booking though the onsite Director of Adventure (the famous South Ponto surf break is across the street)
- Chandler’s restaurant, which serves California cuisine
- Some rooms have partial or full ocean views.
- Complimentary WiFi
- Rooms have 42″ TVs with premium channels, Paul Mitchell bath amenities, Hilton Serenity Beds, microwaves, mini fridges, in-room coffee
- Full-service Ocean Crest Spa
- Ocean view pool with jacuzzi and cabanas
- Bike rentals
- Complimentary shuttle within a 10 mile radius (including LEGOLAND)
- Complimentary morning coffee and tea in the lobby
Good to know: They have a family beach package available where the room rate bundles 15% discounts on dining, beach activities and some local attractions.
Awards: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, AAA Four Diamond Award
Omni La Costa
Distance to LEGOLAND: 7.9 miles
Top pick for: Multigenerational trips (villas from studios to three-bedrooms with kitchens plus connecting rooms and suites), parents who enjoy world-class spas, and people who like resorts with an abundance of kids’ offerings.
Why go: What is widely regarded as San Diego’s most family-friendly resort, Omni La Costa Resort & Spa happens to also be a hotel near LEGOLAND California. It’s a great option for people who like to spend time on a resort because between the famous golf course, award-winning spa, kids’ pool, kids’ club and activities calendar there is certainly a lot to do here. They also have gorgeous villas with designer kitchens that happen to be seriously great value for larger families and multigenerational trips.
- Kidtopia kid’s club, designed by an architect that specializes in theme parks and museums, offers supervised play for infants and toddlers, potty-trained kids ages 3-5 and kids ages 6-12 (each age group enjoy different programming)
- Splash Landing pools with a water play area and water slides
- Sandy Beach Family Pool with sand to play in
- Vibz game lounge offering pay-per-play high-tech games and activities for ages 10 and up
- A pretty awesome daily activity schedule that can include anything from reptile shows to s’more roasting
- Kids fitness bootcamp
- The adults-only Edge Pool
- Lifestyle boutiques for golf, yoga and beach gear among other finds
- Diversions sports lounge to catch a game, smoke a cigar or read the paper, farm-to-table dining at BlueFire Grill
- Two world-renowned golf courses
- Spa at La Costa’s awesome lounging facilities and nature-inspired treatments and an opportunity to address inner wellness at The Chopra Center
- One-, two- and three-bedroom villas of which most have full kitchens blend vacation and home
Good to know: Many first floor rooms have French doors that open to a nice patio. Signature rooms and La Costa suites (one of the most popular room types because the living room closes off to the bedroom and they are really reasonably priced) are closest to the family pool. Room location can be requested but not guaranteed (talk to me, I’ll see what I can do).
Awards: Southern California’s only Gold Medal Golf Resort (Golf Magazine), #1 Wellness Spa in the nation by Spa Magazine, Travel + Leisure’s #4 Spa in North America
Send me your travel dates and I will be more than happy to prepare a quote for you and provide whatever travel advice you need to complete your San Diego itinerary. Or, you may book directly through the Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara website. (I’ve been booking Four Seasons Hotels for years personally, these are the two best options for reservations.)
Park Hyatt Aviara
Distance to LEGOLAND: 6.8 miles
Top pick for: World of Hyatt members
Why go: You are a World of Hyatt member and want to base the family in a North County San Diego luxury hotel with good service, excellent golf and an award-winning spa. I find that this hotel can price very well during certain times of the year and they do have (usually) reasonably priced suites with separate living areas which young families tend to enjoy.
- Aviara Kids Academy by Camp Hyatt for ages 4 – 12 during the summer
- Lessons at Aviara Golf Academy for all ages
- Bird watching over the wetlands
- Seasonal junior tennis clinics
- Outdoor family swimming pool with underwater lights
- Shallow wading pool and water play area
- Poolside cafe with kid-sized picnic tables
- Surf concierge including transportation to Ponto Beach and 2 hours of boogie board or surf lessons for ages 6 and above
- Kids DVD library
- Arnold Palmer designed golf course
- Six state-of-the-art lighted tennis courts
- Adults-only pool with panoramic views
- An awesome 15,000-square-foot spa with solarium lounge area, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, couples treatment areas and locker and dressing areas
- TaylorMade Performance Lab for a 2-hour custom club fitting experience
- Exquisite, varied dining between Argyle steakhouse, Vivace (Italian) and California Bistro
- Frette robes and pillow-top beds
Good to know: This incredibly beautiful part of Carlsbad is inland of the I-5 freeway so you’ll need to drive to the beach. You can read about our recent stay at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort.
Awards: AAA Five Diamonds
- Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability.
- Daily full breakfast buffet, for up to two in room guests
- $100 USD equivalent Resort credit to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
- Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
- Complimentary daily Aviara Spa access for two guests including sauna, whirlpool, steam room and indoor solarium lounge.
- Locally-inspired culinary welcome amenity
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
Send me your travel dates and I will be more than happy to prepare a quote and provide whatever travel advice you need to complete your San Diego itinerary. They are also running an exclusive spa promotion. Or, book directly through Park Hyatt Aviara Resort (without the above amenities).
West Inn & Suites
Distance to LEGOLAND: 2.1 miles
Top pick for: Families who are value-oriented and don’t mind paying a bit more for larger suite accommodations but don’t need the amenities of a five-star resort.
Why go: You are a value-oriented traveler. West Inn and Suites is a nice boutique hotel that includes great amenities with the rate without a lot of upcharges. Located about a 5-minute drive from LEGOLAND and just three blocks (a 10-minute walk) to the beach and the Museum of Making Music, this pet-friendly 86-room hotel’s relaxed yet sophisticated setting may be perfect for a family vacation, a romantic weekend getaway, or for business travelers. There are 35 suites among the hotel’s 86 rooms. We have enjoyed staying here in a spacious suite with our rescued pitbull in tow (dogs can’t be left alone in the rooms).
- Complimentary water (2 bottles in your room) upon arrival
- Refrigerator & microwave
- In-room, one-cup coffee maker
- High speed wired & wireless Internet
- Day use of beach chairs, umbrellas, boogie boards & beach toys
- Dog/cat friendly rooms ($75 extra for one night, $150 extra for two or more nights)
- Fitness center
- Heated pool and Jacuzzi
- Casual & fine dining on site supported by the hotel’s own West Farm
- Room service by Bistro to Go
- Extensive breakfast buffet
- 24-hour coffee and tea service
- Bed time cookies and milk from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Seasonal wine/beer pour 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Complimentary self-parking
- Complimentary shuttle service within Carlsbad (based on LEGOLAND hours)
- Cribs and pack and plays
- Weekday newspapers
- Rollaways ($10 fee per night) and turn down service upon request
Good to know: The West Inn & Suites does not have a resort fee. This hotel near LEGOLAND California Resort offers a special LEGOLAND Package (in addition to other special packages) providing admission tickets and shuttle to and from the park.
Awards: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, Family Vacation Critic Favorite Hotel 2017
Grand Pacific Palisades
Distance to LEGOLAND: Located across the street. It’s probably a 10-minute walk to the turnstiles.
Why go: This is a good pick for families who need accommodations with kitchens because they like to cook their own meals (there is a nearby Costco). These are timeshare accommodations that anyone can book. This well-located hotel on 12 landscaped acres overlooking the Pacific Ocean has a pedestrian entrance to LEGOLAND, a separate adult, Olympic-sized pool with a sunset view and cabanas, and a family-friendly kid pool. It’s also close to the outlet mall, beaches and Carlsbad Village.
- Free WiFi
- Olympic-sized adult pool and cabanas
- Family pool with kids interactive splash pad
- State-of-the-art fitness center and steam room
- Activity center and weekly resort events for all
- Video and game room
- Pedestrian entrance to LEGOLAND® California Resort
- Karl Strauss Brewery and Restaurant nearby for breakfast and room service
- Just a free shuttle away is luxurious Ocean Pearl Spa at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort
- In-room massage treatments
- Business center
- Grand Concierge services to meet all your resort needs
- Resort shuttle available within 5 mile radius
- Rollaway bed ($25 per night)
Good to know: Book at least 21 days in advance to receive 10% off. The complimentary Tide Trolley is a fun filled way to be transported to Carlsbad’s pristine Tamarack Beach and is available on Saturday and Sundays daily Memorial Day through Labor Day, and various holidays throughout the year.
Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
Distance: Next to LEGOLAND with a private entrance to the park
Why go: The Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa is located adjacent to the Crossings Carlsbad golf course, and with a private entrance to the LEGOLAND California Resort, a large outdoor patio and panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean. This pet-friendly resort also has the world-class Ocean Pearl Spa and offers California coastal cuisine at its on-site Twenty/20 restaurant. It’s for people who want to be close to LEGOLAND, stay in a larger resort, but not immerse completely in all things LEGO.
- Free WiFi
- 42-inch flat screen television.
- Guest rooms feature large work desks, Wireless High-Speed Internet Access
- Mini Refrigerator
- Complimentary transportation available by trolley to Tamarack Beach
- You can put rollaway beds, microwaves and DVD players in the room for an extra fee.
- 24-hour heated swimming pool and Jacuzzi
- 24-hour Sheraton fitness
- [email protected]
- Private entrance to LEGOLAND® California Resort
- In-room Starbucks coffee
- One bottled water in room
- Unlimited local/800 calls
- Complimentary shuttle service within a five mile radius
- Complimentary beach trolley during the summer months
Good To Know: Resort fee of $16 per day. The private entrance to LEGOLAND opens exactly at 10:00 a.m. Self-parking is $12 per vehicle; valet parking is $18 per vehicle.
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Distance to LEGOLAND: 3.2 miles
Why go: You’d like to be located across the street from the beach and have a few more home comforts like a refrigerator and microwave or a (usually) reasonably-priced suite. Located near LEGOLAND California Resort, the Carlsbad State Beach, and the Flower Fields, with many ocean-view hotel rooms and suites. Every room in the hotel has free high-speed internet access, a writing desk, and cable television. Several on-site dining and lounge options are also available, including a 24-hour convenience store called the Pavilion Pantry, the Pavilion Lounge for late night drinks, or breakfast and dinner at The Carlsbad Beach Bistro.
- High speed internet
- 24-hour front desk
- ATM machine
- Business center
- Fitness center
- Game room
- Gift shop
- Pool with Jacuzzi
- Bike rentals
Good to know: Be sure to join Hilton HHonors as occasionally, the HHonors rate through Hilton can be slightly lower.
Hyatt House San Diego/Carlsbad
Distance to LEGOLAND: 2 miles
Why go: Located on the coastal side of beautiful Carlsbad, California and conveniently situated only 2½ blocks from the beach, this hotel near LEGOLAND is a five-minute drive to LEGOLAND California Resort and to the Village of Carlsbad. HYATT House San Diego/Carlsbad
- Spacious residentially inspired suites
- Fully-equipped kitchens
- 32″ flat screen television with high-definition channels
- Newly updated. complimentary Wi-Fi service
- Guest laundry facility
- Same day valet dry cleaning service
- Free breakfast featuring the Omelet Bar, with create-your-own and chef-inspired options
- 24-hour Guest Market
- 24-hour Fitness Center
- Outdoor grilling area
- Outdoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi
- 24-Hour Business Center
Good to know: For business travelers, the hotel is located near several prominent local corporations and other business.
Fairfield Inn and Suites Carlsbad
Why go: Fairfield Inn and Suites Carlsbad has the quality and consistency of a Marriott property. Located just minutes from Carlsbad State Beach, LEGOLAND, world-class golf, and shopping at the Carlsbad Premium. A hot breakfast buffet as well. 30 miles north of downtown San Diego. Earn and redeem Marriott rewards points.
- Complimentary hot breakfast buffet
- Fitness center
- 24/7 business center
- 48″ flat screen TV’s in each room.
- 24 hour market
- Heated outdoor pool
- Marriott Rewards points
- Each room features a coffee maker, refrigerator , microwave
- Complimentary high-speed Internet access in all guest rooms
Good To Know: Free WiFi. Free parking, Free breakfast buffet. Guests can earn and redeem Marriott rewards points.
Important Tips for Visiting LEGOLAND California
When planning a LEGOLAND California vacation, it is critical to check park hours. This San Diego attraction is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during off-peak season. The LEGOLAND Water Park is only open on weekends during off-peak season and not at all during November – February.
You may skip the lines at LEGOLAND California with a VIP tour. This comes in handy during peak season.
The park is geared mostly toward kids who are under 12 years old.