Recipe: Brockton Villa’s Fabulous Coast Toast
One of the best restaurants for breakfast or brunch with a view in La Jolla is definitely Brockton Villa. Overlooking La Jolla Cove, the welcoming ambiance in this historic cottage (built in 1864) begs for lingering over mimosas with friends any day of the week.
See also: Best La Jolla Restaurants
Brockton Villa is famous for their Coast Toast, which definitely kicks your standard French toast recipe up a few notches. I love it. They’ve generously provided the recipe, should you like to wow your kids or guests with this decadent dish.
- One loaf of soft French bread (sliced)
- One quart of whipping cream
- 10 eggs
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbs. vanilla
- 2 tbs. orange flavoring
- Combine liquid ingredients. Pour over bread slices.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Remove bread and discard liquid.
- Spread butter on flat grill.
- Cook bread until golden brown, then bake at 450 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until bread is puffed up like a soufflé.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Or, head on over to Brockton Villa to sample the real deal. I had the luxury of previewing Executive Chef Mareyja Sisbarro’s delicious new menu items including Cinnamon Roll Pancakes, Asian Chicken Salad and Summer Berry Spinach Salad.
Choosing between the Cinnamon Roll Pancakes and the Coast Toast is a tough call. My suggestion is that you order one and convince your dining partner to order the other. They’re worth a little extra time on the treadmill. Or, walk it off in the La Jolla sunshine.
1235 Coast Blvd
La Jolla, CA 92037
Photos are courtesy of Brockton Villa