San Diego Museum Month was created in 1989 to promote awareness of the region’s museums, historical sites, educational institutions, and cultural offerings. This month-long promotion happens every February and has grown to become a cultural tradition unrivaled in the United States.
Needless to say, this year’s San Diego Museum Month is going to be a whole lot different, even though some of our museums will reopen outdoor operations in February (details below).
28 Days of Museum Moments: February 1-28, 2021
This year, tune into social media to learn more about the best San Diego museums, historic sites, gardens, zoos, and aquariums, which will undoubtedly include information and fun activities that you might not already be familiar with.
Follow the San Diego Museum Council on these accounts and check them each day throughout February.
Or, follow the hashtag #SDMuseumMonth. And, then when the time is right, visit a museum that is new to you.
Fun Fact: In April 2015, San Diego was recognized by the National Geographic Channel documentary, “World’s Smart Cities: San Diego,” where the region gained applause for its lifestyle rich in art, cultural diversity, and natural beauty.
How Museum Month Normally Works (Keep in Mind for Next Year)
San Diego Museum Month gives patrons a chance to discover what’s new at more than 40 San Diego museums, with savings only seen once a year.
Starting February 1, participants normally can pick up a free San Diego Museum Month Pass that entitles you to enjoy half-off admission to all participating museums throughout the entire month of February. You don’t have to be a resident — anyone can enjoy this pass.
Guests with a pass may bring up to four people to participating museums to receive half-off admission for the entire party. There are a few restrictions such as some museums may only allow you to use the pass a certain amount of times in the month. Additional fees may apply for special exhibitions at participating museums.
Last Year’s Participating Museums
- Adobe Chapel
- Barona Cultural Center & Museum
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps
- Bonita Museum & Cultural Center
- California Center for the Arts, Escondido Museum
- California Surf Museum
- Coronado Museum of History & Art
- Fleet Science Center (Galleries only)
- Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum
- Gaslamp Museum at the Davis-Horton House
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- Junipero Serra Museum
- La Jolla Historical Society
- Living Coast Discovery Center
- Lux Art Institute
- Maritime Museum of San Diego
- Marston House Museum & Gardens
- Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum
- Mission San Luis Rey Museum
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego (Downtown only)
- Museum of Making Music
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- New Americans Museum
- Oceanside Museum of Art
- San Diego Air & Space Museum
- San Diego Archaeological Center
- San Diego Art Institute
- San Diego Automotive Museum
- San Diego Botanic Garden
- San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum
- San Diego Chinese Historical Museum
- San Diego History Center
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum
- San Diego Natural History Museum (the Nat)
- The New Children’s Museum
- The San Diego Museum of Art
- Tijuana Estuary Visitor Center
- Timken Museum of Art
- USS Midway Museum
- Visions Art Museum
- Warner-Carrillo Ranch House
- Whaley House Museum
Which San Diego museums are you looking forward to learning more about during San Diego Museum Month?
*Photo credits: San Diego Air and Space Museum/Peter Carney for Balboa Park