San Diego Museum Month was created in 1989 to promote awareness of the region’s museums, historical sites, educational institutions, and cultural attractions. This month-long promotion happens every February and has grown to become a much-anticipated event in San Diego County.
This year’s event is going to be even better than ever with a return to an in-person event since our San Diego museums are open.
How Museum Month Works
San Diego Museum Month gives patrons a chance to discover what’s new at more than 45 San Diego museums, historic sites, gardens, aquariums, and other destinations – with savings only seen once a year.
Starting February 1, participants can pick up a free San Diego Museum Month Pass that entitles them to half-off admission at all participating museums throughout the entire month of February. You don’t have to be a resident — anyone can use this pass!
Pick up your free pass at Macy’s locations in the San Diego area and at over 75 participating local libraries. These include:
- San Diego County Library
- San Diego Public Library
- Carlsbad Public Library
- Chula Vista Public Library
- Coronado Public Library
- Escondido Public Library
- National City Public Library
- Oceanside Public Library
Guests with a Museum Month pass may bring up to four people to participating museums to receive half-off admission for the entire party.
There are a few restrictions such as some museums may only allow you to use the pass a certain amount of times in the month. Additional fees may apply for special exhibitions at participating museums.
Macy’s sponsorship also provides funding for hundreds of free vouchers for students at Title I schools to participate in Museum Month.
This Year’s Participating Museums
Your Museum Month discount pass gets you half-price admission at these fantastic San Diego, CA attractions.
- Barona Cultural Center & Museum (Admission is always free and pass holders can enjoy 20% off their museum store purchase – some exclusions apply – during the month of February.)
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps (Discounted Museum Month admissions for Birch Aquarium MUST be reserved online in advance for a specific date and time. Visit aquarium.ucsd.edu and use code MuseumMonth22 at checkout.)
- Bonita Museum & Cultural Center California Center for the Arts, Escondido Museum
- California Surf Museum
- Comic-Con Museum
- Coronado Historical Association
- Fleet Science Center (IMAX not included)
- Gaslamp Museum at the Davis-Horton House
- Heritage of the Americas Museum
- Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) Central
- Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) North
- JA Cooley Museum
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- Junipero Serra Museum (SOHO) (The Junípero Serra Museum is closed for renovations until late February 2022.)
- La Jolla Historical Society
- Lemon Grove Parsonage Museum
- Living Coast Discovery Center
- Maritime Museum of San Diego
- Marston House Museum and Gardens (SOHO)
- MCRD Command Museum
- Mingei International Museum
- Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum
- Mission San Luis Rey (May exclude some special events.)
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego, Downtown
- Museum of Making Music
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- New Americans Museum
- San Diego African American Museum of Fine Arts
- San Diego History Center
- San Diego Air and Space Museum
- San Diego Archaeological Center
- San Diego Automotive Museum (Children must be accompanied by an adult.)
- San Diego Botanic Garden (Pass may be used for entrance to the Garden on one day only, as chosen by the passholder. Up to four people may be admitted that day, but no one may return with the pass on a separate day. Does not include special events. Tickets must be purchased in person on the day of entry by presenting the pass at admissions. Online ticket sales are not available for this discount).
- San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum (Passes may only be used once and excludes special events. Cannot be combined with other offers.)
- San Diego Chinese Historical Museum (Reopening soon – watch their website/social media for updates, upcoming exhibits and online programing.)
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum
- San Diego Museum of Art
- San Diego Natural History Museum (The NAT) (Passes may only be used once and excludes special events. Cannot be combined with other offers.)
- Santa Ysabel General Store (SOHO)
- SOHO’s Adobe Chapel Museum (Closed for renovation – watch their website/social media for updates, upcoming exhibits and online programing.)
- The New Children’s Museum
- Tijuana Estuary Visitor Center
- Timken Museum of Art (Reopening soon – watch their website/social media for updates, upcoming exhibits and online programing.)
- USS Midway Museum
- Vanguard Culture (Arts Media Outlet – watch their website/social media for upcoming exhibits and online programing.)
- Visions Art Museum
- Warner-Carrillo Ranch House (SOHO)
- Women’s Museum of California (Museum without Walls – watch their website/social media for upcoming exhibits and online programing).
Learn More About Museum Month from the San Diego Museum Council
Tune into social media to learn more about the best San Diego museums, historic sites, gardens, zoos, aquariums, and cultural offerings which will undoubtedly include information and fun activities that you might not already be familiar with.
Follow the San Diego Museum Council on these accounts and check them each day throughout February.
Or, follow the hashtag #SDMuseumMonth. And, then when the time is right, visit a museum that is new to you.
Fun Fact: In April 2015, San Diego was recognized by the National Geographic Channel documentary, “World’s Smart Cities: San Diego,” where the region gained applause for its lifestyle rich in art, cultural diversity, and natural beauty.
Explore a New-to-You Neighborhood While You’re at It
Why not visit a museum that is in a neighborhood you don’t get to very often. While I have highlighted plenty of things to do in San Diego on this website, San Diego Museum Council has also curated fun neighborhood guides for even more inspiration and activities to complement your museum visit.
Which San Diego museums are you looking forward to learning more about during San Diego Museum Month?
*Photo credits: San Diego Air and Space Museum/Peter Carney for Balboa Park